Wednesday 29 January 2014

Roller Derby


Oh wow have you seen this amazing sport? It is really popular in the USA and it's now sweeping the UK! 

If you haven't seen Whip It yet then get yourself onto Netflix and get watching! A 2009 film directed by Drew Barrymore really gives you a good view of what Roller Derby is all about! With speed hotpants and a good old healthy dose of competition what more can you ask for? 


Click here to take a sneek peek of what this womens-only sport is all about in the UK. If you fancy trying it out for yourself there are teams popping up all over Britain and you can visit Roller Derby UK for loads of great information on Roller Derby including Player Profiles and their own Blog too!

I personally found myself getting very excited that I have a team local to me called Dorset Roller Girls and get this, they practice just down the road from me! Such an empowing sport with great outfits too (I'm thinking hotpants, fishnets & roller skates how can you resist?) really ignites an unkown desire to take up roller derby for myself!  The only thing that puts me off is the fact that I literally cannot skate to save my life plus I'm only 5'1" and not sure I could handle being pushed about lol! I'm totally loving the idea of it though and I'm really looking for an excuse to check this sport out for myself! I may have to be 'passing by' during training one evening or something? Ha! 

Love Sophie..xxx

6 comments:

  1. My best friend plays Roller Derby - she trains with Hot Wheels in Leeds. I've been to watch a few bouts and its awesome! Definitely go and watch them play! I bet you'd love it! :)
    #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how many people do it or know someone who does! Yes I need to get myself down there! Thanks Colette!

      Delete
  2. That's so weird - have just interviewed one of the Dorset team members for a feature on this! She said they are always looking for new members, you don't have to be able to skate - they will teach you - and if you don't want to play in the games, you can be a referee, as they always need those too! But you do need an alter ego name - get your thinking cap on! Em x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really weird Em! What was she like? You'll have to fill me in! I'm torn about want I g to do it! It looks so cool but I'm not sure it's really me! If you know what I mean lol!? Xxx

      Delete
  3. A pal of mine in Blackpool is a team member of a roller derby team and she LOVES it. They all get special names and all too like "Crusher" and stuff, so fun. Thanks for linking up to Mad Mid Week Blog hop! x

    ReplyDelete